Technician Tips to Test Relays
In order to test relays, the technician should:
• Understand the construction, operation, and testing of the particular relay
• Have the manufacturer’s instruction manual available
• Be given the settings to be applied to the relay and test points
• Have a test instrument available that is suitable to conduct tests on a particular relay
• Be allowed to trip the associated circuit breaker to ensure the relay trip contacts will operate the breaker
Protective relays should be acceptance tested prior to being placed in service. Thereafter, they should be tested periodically to ensure reliable performance. In normal industrial applications, relays should be tested at least every 2 years. In critical systems, testing should be conducted at least annually.
Contact Reuter Hanney, the electrical power specialists, today at firstname.lastname@example.org for a review of your company’s electrical equipment needs and to learn more about safety, and safety maintenance procedures.